St Peters 19th Century

Addingham Church Funeral St. Peters Funeral st. peters Chancel

Cross Bottom

RECTORS

  • 1830 Thomas Brayshaw
  • 1840 Wilam Coates Thompson
  • 1895 Joseph William Hall

The long incumbency of John Coates saw the Industrial Revolution spread to Addingham with the change from hand to mechanised labour. In 1826, riots took place at Low Mill and the Rector’s brother in law, Ellis Cunliffe who was master at the mill, read the Riot Act and was responsible for calling out the soldiers.

Ellis Cunliffe had married the heiress of the Listers of Manningham, Ruth Myers who died in 1796. He then married Mary Kay. He inherited the Lister fortune and changed his name to Cunliffe-Lister. His fourth son, Samuel Cunliffe-Lister, later in the century, invented a mechanised wool combing machine. He prospered and became the first Baron Masham.

John Coates died in 1830 to be followed by Revd. Thomas Brayshaw as Rector. About this time the clock was put into the tower. The clock was made by William Cryer of Carleton near Skipton. In 1840, Thomas Brayshaw was succeeded by William, the son of John Coates. He had added his grandmother’s name to his own to become William Coates Thompson (the third William Thompson). During his incumbency, in 1858, a good deal of reconstruction took place in the chancel which involved a new roof, a partial rebuilding of the east wall and the insertion of the present east window. In 1861 the organ was installed.

As well as being Rector, William Coates Thompson was the Squire. He was Rector for 55 years and had several Curates during this time, the last of whom, Joseph William Hall, succeeded him as Rector, continuing until his death in 1930.

Image top left and middle left: The funeral of Samuel Cunliffe Lister, first Baron Masham of Swinton. He died aged 91 in 1906. A special train brought his body and many mourners from Masham to Addingham where he was buried in the family vault in the church.

Image bottom left: Painted chancel ceiling.